Sunday, March 22, 2009

Its A Slow Ramble Though

Ok, yet another start. I am forever starting again. Try as I have to not "journal" in public, it seems that I am evermore drawn to do so. Ah well, I trust that those that don't want to read such as these, won't; and those that do take the time will be like-minded, understanding folks.

I'm doing this, here, because I've commited myself to engagement of others' blog writings, and commenting as I see them. Doing so without writing my own self, seems kind of weirdly one-sided. And I've had this blog, A Ramble Through Life, for some time as had struck me as a good idea before I knew what it might be for. Well, perhaps this is it. Sort of a daily journal apart from my writing exercise, Write Everyday.

Because I would seem to be so inconsistent, let me give a short explanation in this first Ramble. It begins by saying that very few things keep me from writing, but those that do, are important to me. They go like this: I have nothing valuable to say; I am away to our UpNorth place with only dial-up service; I have nothing valuable to say; I am in the garden, or playing racquetball; I have nothing valuable to say; I am doing household chores; I'm engaged in other life; I have nothing valuable to say; I am trying to figure-out a newly-found web application (usually from Google or Microsoft); I am reading (ever so slowly). But recently there has come one more.

I bought a new computer; a HP, Mini netbook. It has taken me days and days, to set it up and get acquainted with it (I'm using it now). This is a wireless gizmo, and it is my hope that it will actually provide me more opportunity to write, whatever it may be that I might call writing. But I like this thing so much already that I'm not begrudging the time spent getting acquainted. (and I can listen to net radio while I contemplate the next keystroke).

I'm aware that I began some work on the issue of ambiguity in poetry, and haven't gotten back to that yet. I got side-tracked, not only with this new device, but with some essay reading. Its both enjoyment and lessons-learned. But it does take up time and energy. That reading will soon be done and I'll get back to work with Mr Empson. But for now,its time to read.

1 comment:

Fresca said...

Paul!
Only you can say what is uniquely yours to say, and that in itself is valuable. It is your special talent to use, not to bury.
Though I do think playing raquetball and gardening are also gifts that need exercising...

You seem to be like a squirrel and bury your talents in several different blogs. You mention in the post above that you might put them all tother? That would certainly be welcome to this reader. But whatever works for the writer is the most important thing.

Speaking of poetry, have you heard of Jim Johnson, the poet lareate of Duluth? I heard him read this past weekend at Birchbark Books (by Lake of the Isels)--purely by accident, because I was out for a walk and noticed a poetry reading was starting at the bookstore in 10 minutes. His latest book "Driving Gravel Roads" is prose poetry--a form I like, with its mix of straightforward narrative and dense poetic imagery.
Anyway, you've said you're interested in poetry, and if you haven't read this guy, you might like him.